Yeah...the bunnies. Must have the dumbest parent bunnies around. Considering we have two dogs, two large dogs who appreciate any new game of "hunt", let's just say Matty and Eli have had quite a field day. It all started last evening while I was working on trimming up the backyard lawn with my friend Theresa's gas powered trimmer. The thing was a beast and made me feel like Tim the Toolman Taylor from "Home Improvement". Needless to say, it was a little difficult to start up, therefore I didn't want to have to restart the thing at all.
Of course Miss Matty, being the hunter that she is caught my eye as she had this excited nature about her yet unsure of what she should do. So I walk over to where she's standing and discover what I initially thought was a dead mouse, a large one at that. Naturally I had no choice but to turn the trimmer off (total bummer), get the dogs inside, and pick up a few bags to dispose of the thing. It was definitely dead.
Afterwards, I let the dogs back out, turned around and about 2 minutess later, in another spot of the yard, I see Matty with yet another one! Argh! This is when I discovered that it was a baby bunny rather than a mouse. (Funny how it instantly becomes a "poor" thing instead of just a thing.) So I repeated the process, mentally prepared myself of having to put the poor thing out of its misery, and again let the dogs out.
I kid you not, not even 30 seconds later, Matty had caught ANOTHER one! This time, however, the little thing was still alive and unharmed (whew!). It was so small it still didn't even have its eyes open.

No worries, this bunny was unharmed. However, does it just seem a little wrong that I have the cute little thing sitting on a bag with little targets all over?
I debated on what I was to do. Obviously I can't keep a bunny as a pet with my two hunter dogs, nor do I really have the desire. Besides, I've got plenty to take care of as it is while P is away. Eventually I ended up putting this poor little baby bunny back in his hole, covered the hole with a rain gutter tray flipped upside down so momma bunny could still get in and put a piece of wood down to weigh it down in hopes that it would keep Matty out. I'll never know what happened to that little baby bunny...not sure I want to.
Fast forward to this evening...I let the pups out, went back in the house to grab something, came out and what do I find? Both Matty and Eli EACH have a bunny! Argh!!! So again, the pups go in the house, I grab bags to dispose, and thankfully one of the baby bunnies was alive, well, and hopped off to safety. The other wasn't quite so fortunate as it suffered some nasty intestinal injuries that I felt compelled to put out of his misery. :( Not so fun.
So that's my "Bunny Tale". I hope this evening was the conclusion. This has been quite the bunny summer as they are just everywhere. I can usually see a bunny or two each day just looking out a window of our house.
Oh, and if the bunnies weren't enough in terms of animal stories for our household this week, we have a bird story to add. I left the garage door open and in flew what I believe to be a fledgling bird that had just learned how to fly. Well, it freaked out and couldn't figure out how to get back out. So I opened up the second garage door in hopes that he'd figure it out...seriously, how hard could it be? Seven hours later, the silly thing was still in there AND(!) another bird was flying in to deliver it some worms! Thankfully, the contractor building our deck and his aide were successful in convincing it to leave and off he flew to the house across the street and then off into the big world. Of course P's car suffered the seven hour ordeal...and of course his car battery is dead, so a car wash is temporarily out...the joys of deployments and their mishaps.
Happy 4th of July!





Wow! I'm very impressed with your resourcefulness! I can't even kill spiders/bugs, much less bunnies :)
ReplyDelete