Memorial Day is one of those holidays that has both a traditional meaning and more “modern” (I use that loosely) meanings making it a little confusing. It is a day of remembrance, although I must admit that I did very little in remembering the fallen growing up as a child. Now, I most certainly think of those who sacrificed their lives for securing our freedom as well as those families who are living without loved ones.
On the other hand, Memorial Day is also considered the unofficial or maybe official start of the summer! Sure, summer doesn’t technically start until the latter half of June...but that’s just the calendar’s definition. BBQ’s, lemonade, trips to the beach, bug spray are just a few of those things that pop into my mind as summer begins.
Because of these two different aspects, it gets a little confusing on how to approach the day.
Anyway, enough of my gibber-jabber. Here’s a picture of the munchkin being patriotic. Not sure if its visible, but her t-shirt also has a little plane on it with a puppy as the pilot. Fitting, isn’t it? ;-)
As for how we spent our day...it was filled with a little shopping trip at Kohl's enjoying their nice sale (what was it called this week?), lunch with a friend at Chick-fil-A, a quick trip to Fifer's to grab the all-American corn on the cob, and of course the expected thunderstorm that always seems to come over Memorial Day. While we were at Fifer's, I enjoyed a scoop of ice cream while sitting underneath the huge old walnut tree and the munchkin took a pre-afternoon nap snooze. It was a nice low-key day.





No comments:
Post a Comment